Antimicrobial activity of endophytic fungi associated with halophytic species Salsola vermiculata
Endophytic fungi are known for their production of bioactive compounds with antibacterial and antifungal activity. In this study, an evaluation of the antibacterial and antifungal activity of endophytic fungi isolated from Salsola vermiculata, a halophyte species collected from Chott el Hodna, M'sila (Algeria) was carried out. The eleven isolated endophytic fungi were identified as belonging to the genera Alternaria sp., Aureobasidium sp., Phoma sp., Chrysosporium sp., Fusarium sp., Aspergillus sp., Papulaspora sp., Ulocladium sp., Humicola sp. and Pencillium sp. The antimicrobial activity of endophyte isolates was tested against phytopathogenic fungi and pathogenic bacteria using the dual culture and the agar plug diffusion methods respectively. The higher percentage inhibition of 79% was obtained by the isolate Penicillium sp. 1 against Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. ciccri. All isolated endophytic fungi showed antibacterial activity against at least one pathogenic bacterium, the greatest effect was obtained by Fusarium sp. against Pseudomonas aeruginosa ATCC 27853 and Bacillus cereus ATCC 10876 with inhibition zones of 26.33 and 25.33 mm respectively. After the comparison of the means of the zones of inhibition, the isolate Chrysosporium sp. was the most active against all pathogenic bacteria with average inhibition zones of 20.55 mm.
2. An C, Ma S, Shi X, Xue W, Liu C, et Ding H. Diversity and antimicrobial activity of endophytic fungi isolated from Chloranthus japonicus Sieb in Qinling Mountains, China. Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21(17): 5958.
3. Singh A, Kumar J, Sharma VK, Singh DK, Kumari P, Nishad JH, et al. Phytochemical analysis and antimicrobial activity of an endophytic Fusarium proliferatum (ACQR8), isolated from a folk medicinal plant Cissus quadrangularis L. South Afr J Bot. 2021; 140: 87-94.
4. Li J, Sun X, Zheng Y, Lü P, Wang YL, Guo LD. Diversity and community of culturable endophytic fungi from stems and roots of desert halophytes in northwest China. MycoKeys 2020; 62: 75-95.
5. Zhang X, Xu Z, Ma J, Zhou D, Xu J. Phylogenetic diversity, antimicrobial and antioxidant potential and identification of bioactive compounds from culturable endophytic fungi associated with mangrove Bruguiera sexangula (Lour.) Poir. Curr Microbiol. 2021; 78(2): 479-489.
6. Yang X, Jin H, Xu L, Cui H, Xin A, Liu H, et al. Diversity and functions of endophytic fungi associated with roots and leaves of Stipa purpurea in an alpine steppe at Qinghai-Tibet plateau. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2020; 30(7): 1027-1036.
7. Alsharari SS, Galal FH, Seufi AM. Composition and diversity of the culturable endophytic community of six stress-tolerant dessert plants grown in stressful soil in a hot dry desert region. J Fungi. 2022; 28(3): 241.
8. Chen J, Wang H, Guo S. Isolation and identification of endophytic and mycorrhizal fungi from seeds and roots of Dendrobium ( Orchidaceae ). Mycorrhiza. 2012; 22: 297-307.
9. Yu J, Wu Y, He Z, Li M, Zhu K, Gao B. Diversity and antifungal activity of endophytic fungi associated with Camellia oleifera. Mycobiology. 2018; 46(2): 85-91.
10. Marcellano JP, Collanto AS, Fuentes RG. Antibacterial activity of endophytic fungi isolated from the bark of Cinnamomum mercadoi. Pharmacogn J. 2017; 9(3): 405-409.
11. Park YH, Kim Y, Mishra RC, Bae H. Fungal endophytes inhabiting mountain-cultivated ginseng (Panax ginseng Meyer): Diversity and biocontrol activity against ginseng pathogens. Sci Rep. 2017; 7(1): 1-10.
12. Naik BS, Shashikala J, Krishnamurthy YL. Study on the diversity of endophytic communities from rice ( Oryza sativa L .) and their antagonistic activities in vitro. Microbiol Res. 2009;164: 290-296.
13. Razghandi M, Mohammadi A, Ghorbani M, Mirzaee MR. New fungal pathogens and endophytes associated with Salsola. J Plant Prot Res. 2020; 60(4): 362-368.
14. Suryanarayanan TS, Kumaresan V. Endophytic fungi of some halophytes from an estuarine mangrove forest. Mycol Res. 2000; 104(12): 1465-1467.
15. Nurunnabi TR, Sabrin F, Sharif DI, Nahar L, Sohrab MH, Sarker SD et al. Antimicrobial activity of endophytic fungi isolated from the mangrove plant Sonneratia apetala ( Buch.‑Ham) from the Sundarbans mangrove. Adv Tradit Med. 2020; 20(3): 419-425.
16. Kalyanasundaram I, Nagamuthu J, Muthukumaraswamy S. Antimicrobial activity of endophytic fungi isolated and identified from salt marsh plant in Vellar Estuary. J Microbiol Antimicrob. 2015; 7(2): 13-20.
17. Yu N, He L, Liu N, Wang Y, Xu H, Liu D. Antimicrobial action of an endophytic fungi from Sophor flavescens and structure identification of its active constituent. Biotechnol Biotechnol Equip. 2014; 28(2): 327-332.
18. Rojas EC, Jensen B, Jørgensen HJL, Latz MAC, Esteban P, Collinge DB. The fungal endophyte Penicillium olsonii ML37 reduces Fusarium head blight by local induced resistance in wheat spikes. J Fungi. 2022; 8(4): 345.
19. Li X, Li W, Chu L, Jr JFW, Xiong Z, Li H. Diversity and heavy metal tolerance of endophytic fungi from Dysphania ambrosioides, a hyperaccumulator from Pb–Zn contaminated soils. J Plant Interact. 2016; 46 (2): 85-91.
20. Waqas M, Khan AL, Hamayun M, Kamran M, Kang S, Kim Y, et al. Assessment of endophytic fungi cultural filtrate on soybean seed germination. Afr J Biotechnol. 2012; 11(85):15135-15143.
21. Ivanova VB, Hoshino Y, Yazawa K, Ando A, Mikami Y, Zaki S M. Isolation and structure elucidation of two new antibacterial compounds produced by Chrysosporium queenslandicum. J Antibiot. 2002; 55(10): 914-918.
22. Hussain H, John M, Al-harrasi A, Shah A, Hassan Z, Abbas G, et al. Phytochemical investigation and antimicrobial activity of an endophytic fungus Phoma sp . J King Saud Univ Sci. 2015; 27(1): 92-95.
23. Loesgen S, Bruhn T, Meindl K, Dix I, Schulz B, Zeeck A, et al. ( + ) -Flavipucine , the missing member of the pyridione epoxide family of fungal antibiotics. Eur J Org Chem. 2011: 5156-5162.
24. Jalil MTM, Hairudin NH, Ibrahim D. Muscodor sp . IBRL OS-94 , a promising endophytic fungus of Ocimum sanctum with antimicrobial activity. Pharm Sci. 2021; 27(2): 268-280.
25. Toghueo RMK. Bioprospecting endophytic fungi from Fusarium genus as sources of bioactive metabolites. Mycology. 2020; 11(1): 1-21.
26. El-Bondkly EAM, El-Bondkly AAM, El-Bondkly AAM. Marine endophytic fungal metabolites: A whole new world of pharmaceutical therapy exploration. Heliyon. 2021; 7(3): e06362.
27. Mahish PK, Singh S, Chauhan R. Bioactive Secondary Metabolites from Endophytic Phoma spp. In: Phoma: Diversity, Taxonomy, Bioactivities, and Nanotechnology. Springer, 2022: 205-219.
28. Shi T, Qi J, Shao CL, Zhao DL, Hou XM, Wang CY. Bioactive diphenyl ethers and isocoumarin derivatives from a gorgonian-derived fungus Phoma sp. (TA07-1). Mar Drugs. 2017; 15(6): 1-7.
29. El-Gendy MMAA, Yahya SMM, Hamed AR, Soltan MM, El-Bondkly AMA. Phylogenetic analysis and biological evaluation of marine endophytic fungi derived from Red Sea Sponge Hyrtios erectus. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2018; 185(3): 755-777.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.