Total phenol and flavonoid content, antioxidant and cytotoxicity assessment of Algerian Launaea glomerata (Cass.) Hook.f. extracts
El-Oued province (southeast Algeria), is located in a medicinal plant-rich area; Launaea glomerata (Cass.) Hook. f. is one among them which is a perennial herb spread widely in the arid regions of the Mediterranean Sea. The selection of the studied plant corresponds perfectly to the scientific needs due two reasons, firstly because these samples are used by the Algerian population as herbal remedies for primary health care, secondly, for the lack of published data on it. The aim of this investigation is to provide new data on quantities of phenols, which were estimated at 25.81 mg GAE/g extract and flavonoids (49.13 mg RE/g extract), and the determination of antioxidant activities by three ways (DPPH, CAT, ABTS), the results of IC50 equals to 98.07 mg TE/g extract for DPPH• and 286.5 mg eq. AG/g for ABTS assays, noted that the best inhibition was by the ABTS root. We also conducted a test for the inhibitory ability of extract against cancer cells tested on both human hepatocellular carcinoma (HePG2) and colon cells (HCT116), the results were negative. The data obtained in this work can be useful for the pharmaceutical industry, also used in the Algerian medicinal herbs database.
2. Labdelli A, Rebiai A, Tahirine M, Adda A, Merah O. Nutritional content and antioxidant capacity of the seed and the epicarp in different ecotypes of Pistacia atlantica desf. subsp. atlantica. Plants. 2020; 9(9): 1065.
3. Begaa S, Messaoudi M, Benarfa A. Statistical approach and neutron activation analysis for determining essential and toxic elements in two kinds of Algerian Artemisia plant. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2020; DOI: 10.1007/s12011-020-02358-7
4. Zellagui A, Gherraf N, Rhouati S. Chemical composition and antibacterial activity of the essential oils of Ferula vesceritensis Coss et Dur. leaves, endemic in Algeria. Org Med Chem Lett. 2012; 2(1) : 31.
5. Mazrou S, Messaoudi M, Akretche DE. Identification, purification and quantification of toxins “ochratoxin A” in Algerian grape juice. Alger J Eng Technol. 2019; 1(1): 2-10.
6. Mesquita LSS de, Luz TRSA, Mesquita JWC de, Coutinho DF, Amaral FMM do, Ribeiro MN de S, et al. Exploring the anticancer properties of essential oils from family Lamiaceae. Food Rev Int. 2019; 35(2): 105-131.
7. Mazrou S, Messaoudi M, Begaa S, Innocent C, Akretche D. Clarification of the Algerian grape juice and their effects on the juice quality. Bull Chem Soc Ethiop. 2020; 34(1): 1-11.
8. Chen GL, Chen SG, Chen F, Xie YQ, Han M Di, Luo CX, et al. Nutraceutical potential and antioxidant benefits of selected fruit seeds subjected to an in vitro digestion. J Funct Foods. 2016; 20: 317-331.
9. Granato D, Santos JS, Maciel LG, Nunes DS. Chemical perspective and criticism on selected analytical methods used to estimate the total content of phenolic compounds in food matrices. Trends Anal Chem. 2016; 80: 266-279.
10. Dictionary of food compounds with CD-ROM. 2012.
11. El Bishbishy MH, Gad HA, Aborehab NM. Chemometric discrimination of three Pistacia species via their metabolic profiling and their possible in vitro effects on memory functions. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2020; 177: 112840.
12. Sirivibulkovit K, Nouanthavong S, Sameenoi Y. based DPPH assay for antioxidant activity analysis. Anal Sci. 2018; 34(7): 795-800.
13. Chelalba I, Benchikha N, Begaa S, Messaoudi M, Debbeche H, Rebiai A, et al. Phytochemical composition and biological activity of Neurada procumbens L. growing in southern Algeria. J Food Process Preserv. 2020; 44(10): e14774.
14. Jafri L, Saleem S, Ihsan-ul-Haq, Ullah N, Mirza B. In vitro assessment of antioxidant potential and determination of polyphenolic compounds of Hedera nepalensis K. Koch. Arab J Chem. 2017;10, suppl. 2: S3699-S3706.
15. Ouakouak H, Benchikha N, Hassani A, Ashour ML. Chemical composition and biological activity of Mentha citrata Ehrh., essential oils growing in southern Algeria. J Food Sci Technol. 2019; 56(12): 5346-5353.
16. Benarfa A, Gourine N, Mahfoudi R, Harrat M, Yousfi M. Effect of seasonal and regional variations on phenolic compounds of Deverra scoparia (flowers/seeds) methanolic extract and the evaluation of its in vitro antioxidant activity. Chem Biodivers. 2019; 16(11): 1-12.
17. Rahman MJ, Costa de Camargo A, Shahidi F. Phenolic profiles and antioxidant activity of defatted camelina and sophia seeds. Food Chem. 2018; 240: 917-925.
18. Guemari F, Laouini SE, Rebiai A, Bouafia A. Phytochemical screening and identification of polyphenols, evaluation of antioxidant activity and study of biological properties of extract Silybum marianum (L.). Asian J Res Chem. 2020; 13(3): 190-197.
19. Benarfa A, Gourine N, Hachani S, Harrat M, Yousfi M. Optimization of ultrasound‐assisted extraction of antioxidative phenolic compounds from Deverra scoparia Coss. & Durieu (flowers) using response surface methodology. J Food Process Preserv. 2020; 44(7): e14514.
20. Rajamurugan R, Selvaganabathy N, Kumaravel S, Ramamurthy C, Sujatha V, Thirunavukkarasu C. Polyphenol contents and antioxidant activity of Brassica nigra (L.) Koch. leaf extract. Nat Prod Res. 2012; 26(23): 2208-2210.
21. Nadernejad N, Ahmadimoghadam A, Hossyinifard J, Poorseyedi S. Evaluation of PAL activity, phenolic and flavonoid contents in three pistachio (Pistacia vera L.) cultivars grafted onto three different rootstocks. J Stress Physiol Biochem. 2013; 9(3): 84-97.
22. Khan RA, Khan MR, Sahreen S, Ahmed M. Assessment of flavonoids contents and in vitro antioxidant activity of Launaea procumbens. Chem Cent J. 2012; 6(1): 43.
23. Koukoui O, Agbangnan P, Boucherie S, Yovo M, Nusse O, Combettes L, et al. Phytochemical study and evaluation of cytotoxicity, antioxidant and hypolipidemic properties of Launaea taraxacifolia; leaves extracts on cell lines HepG2 and PLB985. Am J Plant Sci. 2015; 6(11): 1768-1779.
24. Najjaa H, Neffati M, Zouari S, Ammar E. Essential oil composition and antibacterial activity of different extracts of Allium roseum L., a North African endemic species. Comptes Rendus Chim. 2007; 10(9): 820-826.
25. Khurshid U, Ahmad S, Saleem H, Nawaz HA, Zengin G, Locatelli M, et al. Phytochemical composition and in vitro pharmacological investigations of Neurada procumbens L. (Neuradaceae): A multidirectional approach for industrial products. Ind Crops Prod. 2019; 142: 111861.
26. Ak T. Chemico-biological interactions antioxidant and radical scavenging properties of curcumin. Chem Biol Interact. 2008; 174: 27-37.
27. Ayoub N, Nematallah K, Al-Gendy AA, Zaghloul SS. Novel quercetin glycoside with promising hepatoprotective activity isolated from Lobularia libyca (viv). CfW (Brassicaceae). 2013; 9(21): 177-193.
28. Dei Cas M, Ghidoni R. Cancer prevention and therapy with polyphenols: sphingolipid-mediated mechanisms. Nutrients. 2018; 10(7): 940.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.