Pathogenesis of IL-6 and potential therapeutic of IFN-γ in COVID-19
The elevated inflammatory cytokines suggest that a cytokine storm, also known as cytokine release syndrome (CRS), may play a major role in the pathology of pandemic Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) leading to cause Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and multiple organ dysfunction then death. However, there was a controversial efficacy of corticosteroids in the treatment of COVID-19 induced cytokine release syndrome (CRS). Novel therapies to treat COVID-19-induced CRS become urgent needed. One of the most common cytokine that showed to be critical in the COVID-19 is the IL-6 and this article discuss the pathogenesis of this cytokine in severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Also, this article proposes to utilize interleukin-6 (IL-6) blockade and potential therapeutic effect of IFN-γ to manage COVID-19-induced CRS and discuss several factors that should be taken into consideration for its clinical application.
2. Zhou P, Yang XL, Wang XG, Hu B, Zhang L, Zhang W. A pneumonia outbreak associated with a new coronavirus of probable bat origin. Nature. 2020. 579: 270-273.
3. Turner AJ, Hiscox JA, Hooper NM. ACE2: from vasopeptidase to SARS virus receptor. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2004. 25: 291-294.
4. Novel Coronavirus Pneumonia Emergency Response Epidemiology Novel Coronavirus Pneumonia Emergency Response Epidemiology Team. The epidemiological characteristics of an outbreak of 2019 novel coronavirus diseases (COVID-19) in China. Chin J Tubercul Respir Dis. 2020; 41: 145-151.
5. Yang X, Yu Y, Xu J, Shu H, Xia J, Liu H. Clinical course and outcomes of critically ill patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a single-centered, retrospective, observational study. Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 2600(20)30079-5.
6. Zhou F, Yu T, Du R, Fan G, Liu Y, Liu Z. Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet. 2020; 395: 1054-1062.
7. Yao XH, Li TY, He ZC, Ping YF, Liu HW, Yu SC. A pathological report of three COVID-19 cases by minimally invasive autopsies. Chin J Pathol. 2020; 49: E009.
8. Xu Z, Shi L, Wang Y, Zhang J, Huang L, Zhang C. Pathological findings of COVID-19 associated with acute respiratory distress syndrome. Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: 420-422.
9. Qin C, Zhou L, Hu Z, Zhang S, Yang S, Tao Y. Dysregulation of immune response in patients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China. Clin Infect Dis. 2020; 71(15): 762-768.
10. Tanaka T, Narazaki M, Kishimoto T. Immunotherapeutic implications of IL-6 blockade for cytokine storm. Immunotherapy. 2016; 8: 959-970.
11. DeDiego ML, Nieto-Torres JL, Regla-Nava JA, Jimenez-Guardeno JM, Fernandez-Delgado R, Fett C. Inhibition of NF-kappaB-mediated inflammation in severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-infected mice increases survival. J Virol. 2014; 88: 913-924.
12. Nieto-Torres JL, DeDiego ML, Verdia-Baguena C, Jimenez-Guardeno JM, Regla-Nava JA, Fernandez-Delgado R. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus envelope protein ion channel activity promotes virus fitness and pathogenesis. PLoS Pathog. 2014; 10: e1004077.
13. Schoeman D, Fielding BC. Coronavirus envelope protein: current knowledge. Virol J. 2019; 16: 69.
14. Zhang Y, Li J, Zhan Y, Wu L, Yu X, Zhang W. Analysis of serum cytokines in patients with severe acute respiratory syndrome. Infect Immun. 2004; 72: 4410-4415.
15. Johnson DE, O'Keefe RA, Grandis JR. Targeting the IL-6/JAK/STAT3 signalling axis in cancer. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2018; 15: 234-248.
16. Pathan N, Hemingway CA, Alizadeh AA, Stephens AC, Boldrick JC, Oragui EE. Role of interleukin 6 in myocardial dysfunction of meningococcal septic shock. Lancet. 2004; 363: 203-209.
17. Henter JI, Chow CB, Leung CW, Lau YL. Cytotoxic therapy for severe avian influenza A (H5N1) infection. Lancet. 2006; 367: 870-873.
18. Mehta P, McAuley DF, Brown M, Sanchez E, Tattersall RS, Manson JJ. COVID-19: consider cytokine storm syndromes and immunosuppression. Lancet. 2020; 395: 1033-1034.
19. Le RQ, Li L, Yuan W, Shord SS, Nie L, Habtemariam BA. FDA approval summary: tocilizumab for treatment of chimeric antigen receptor T cell-induced severe or life-threatening cytokine release syndrome. Oncol. 2018; 23: 943-947.
20. Neelapu SS, Tummala S, Kebriaei P, Wierda W, Gutierrez C, Locke FL. Chimeric antigen receptor T-cell therapy - assessment and management of toxicities. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2018; 15: 47-62.
21. Shimabukuro-Vornhagen A, Godel P, Subklewe M, Stemmler HJ, Schlosser HA, Schlaak M. Cytokine release syndrome. J Immunother Cancer. 2018; 6: 56.
22. Norelli M, Camisa B, Barbiera G, Falcone L, Purevdorj A, Genua M. Monocyte-derived IL-1 and IL-6 are differentially required for cytokine-release syndrome and neurotoxicity due to CAR T cells. Nat Med. 2018; 24: 739-748.
23. Lee DW, Gardner R, Porter DL, Louis CU, Ahmed N, Jensen M. Current concepts in the diagnosis and management of cytokine release syndrome. Blood. 2014; 124: 188-195.
24. Wang D, Hu B, Hu C, Zhu F, Liu X, Zhang J. Clinical characteristics of 138 hospitalized patients with 2019 novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia in wuhan, China. J Am Med Assoc. 2020; 323: 1061-1069.
25. De Benedetti F, Brunner HI, Ruperto N, Kenwright A, Wright S, Calvo I. Randomized trial of tocilizumab in systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis. N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 2385-2395.
26. Kennedy GA, Varelias A, Vuckovic S, Le Texier L, Gartlan KH, Zhang P. Addition of interleukin-6 inhibition with tocilizumab to standard graft-versus-host disease prophylaxis after allogeneic stem-cell transplantation: a phase 1/2 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 1451-1459.
27. Sheng F, Han M, Huang Z, Zhang L. Interleukin 6 receptor inhibitor tocilizumab suppresses cytokine expression, inflammasome activation and phagocytosis in a cell model of sepsis. Pharmazie. 2016; 71: 636-639.
28. Burmester GR, Rubbert-Roth A, Cantagrel A, Hall S, Leszczynski P, Feldman D. Efficacy and safety of subcutaneous tocilizumab versus intravenous tocilizumab in combination with traditional DMARDs in patients with RA at week 97 (SUMMACTA). Ann Rheum Dis. 2016; 75: 68-74.
29. Chen L, Liu HG, Liu W, Liu J, Liu K, Shang J. Analysis of clinical features of 29 patients with 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia. Chin J Tubercul Respir Dis. 2020; 43: E005.
30. Gao Y, Li T, Han M, Li X, Wu D, Xu Y. Diagnostic utility of clinical laboratory data determinations for patients with the severe COVID-19. J Med Virol. 2020; 92(7): 791-796.
31. Liu Y, Yang Y, Zhang C, Huang F, Wang F, Yuan J. Clinical and biochemical indexes from 2019-nCoV infected patients linked to viral loads and lung injury. Sci China Life Sci. 2020; 63(3): 364-374.
32. Wang Z, Yang B, Li Q, Wen L, Zhang R. Clinical features of 69 cases with coronavirus disease 2019 in wuhan, China. Clin. Infect. Dis. 2020; 71(15): 769-777.
33. Vilcek J, Sen GC. Interferons and other cytokines Fields, BN Knipe, DM Howley, PM eds. Virology 1, 375-399 Lippincott-Raven Philadelphia. 1996.
34. Vinores S, Wang Y, Vinores MA. Blood-retinal barrier breakdown in experimental coronavirus retinopathy: association with viral antigen, inflammation, and VEGF in sensitive and resistant strains. J Neuroimmunol. 2001; 119: 175-182.
35. Pearce BD, Hobbs MV, McGraw TS, Buchmeier MJ. Cytokine induction during T-cell-mediated clearance of mouse hepatitis virus from neurons in vivo. J Virol. 1994; 68: 5483-5495.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.