Therapeutic effect of fractionated by ultrafiltration red beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.) juice in rats with food-induced fatty liver
The prevalence of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), being a component of metabolic syndrome, has increased (15-27%) in the industrialized world. The deep mechanism of this pathology is not clear, but it is multifactorial. There is a huge amount of food supplements and medicines with hepatoprotective effect on the market, but the NAFLD problem is far from being resolved. Hepatoprotective products have to provide wide spectra of biological effects, including antioxidant, hypolipidemic, anti-inflammatory action. It is peculiar to natural compounds, including red beetroot juice, which is well known to most of the population. This is important in view of the high prevalence of NAFLD. The aim of this study is to evaluate the curative effect of fractionated by ultrafiltration red beetroot juice in rats with food-induced liver steatosis.
2. Tsochatzis EA, Newsome PN. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and the interface between primary and secondary care. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018; 3: 509-517.
3. Antunes C, Bhimji SS. Fatty liver. StatPearls Publishing; 2018. Retrieved from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK441992
4. Lee J, Kim Y, Friso S, Choi SW. Epigenetics in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Mol Aspects Med. 2017; 54: 78-88.
5. Alwahsh SM, Gebhardt R. Dietary fructose as a risk factor for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Arch Toxicol. 2017; 91: 1545-1563.
6. Dhaliwal J, Chavhan GB, Lurz E, Shalabi A, Yuen N, Williams B, et al. Hepatic steatosis is highly prevalent across the pediatric age spectrum, including in pre-school age children. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2018; 48: 556-563.
7. Clemente MG, Mandato C, Poeta M, Vajro P. Pediatric non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: Recent solutions, unresolved issues, and future research directions. World J Gastroenterol. 2016; 22: 8078-8093.
8. Park HJ, Lee SJ, Song Y, Jang SH, Ko YG, Kang SN, et al. Schisandra chinensis prevents alcohol-induced fatty liver disease in rats. J Med Food. 2014; 17: 103-110.
9. Liu J, Zhang H, Ji B, Cai S, Wang R, Zhou F, et al. A diet formula of Puerariae radix, Lycium barbarum, Crataegus pinnatifida, and Polygonati rhizoma alleviates insulin resistance and hepatic steatosis in CD-1 mice and HepG2 cells. Food Func. 2014; 5: 1038-1049.
10. Yilmaz B, Sahin, K, Bilen H, Bahcecioglu IH, Bilir B, Ashraf S, et al. Carotenoids and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatobiliary Surg Nutr. 2015; 4: 161-171.
11. Kim SB, Kang OH, Lee YS, Han SH, Ahn YS, Cha SW, et al. Hepatoprotective effect and synergism of bisdemethoy curcumin against MCD diet-Induced nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in mice. PLoS One. 2016; 11(2): e0147745.
12. Pan MH, Lai CS, Tsai M, Ho CT. Chemoprevention of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease by dietary natural compounds. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2014; 58: 147-171.
13. Krajka-Kuźniak V, Szaefer H, Ignatowicz E, Adamska T, Baer-Dubowska W. Beetroot juice protects against N-nitrosodiethylamine-induced liver injury in rats. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012; 50: 2027-2033.
14. Firdous H, Hussain T, Singh M, Rizvi SMD, Moin A, Kamal MA. Preclinical hepatoprotective effect of herbalism against ethanol induced hepatotoxicity: a review. Curr Drug Metab. 2018; 19(12): 1002-1011.
15. Babarykin D, Krumina G, Paegle I, Suhorukov O, Nikulshin S, Krumina Z, et al. Inhibition the adipogenic differentiation of bone marrow stromal mesenchymal cells (BMSMC) by Chenopodiaceae family cultivated plant juice. In: 5th Int. Conf. Mesenchymal and Non-Hematopoietic Stem Cells (MSCs). Austin, Tx, USA. Abstracts, 12-14 Nov. 2009: 11.
16. Kornicka K, Kocherova I, Marycz K. The effects of chosen plant extracts and compounds on mesenchymal stem cells-a bridge between molecular nutrition and regenerative medicine - concise review. Phytother Res. 2017; 31: 947-958.
17. Babarikyn D, Krumina Z, Krasovska Ž, Krumina G, Aniščenko A, Babarikyna A, et al. Kompozīcija aknu taukainās steatozes noveršanai [in Latvian]. 2012 Patents LV 14588 B.
18. Close B, Banister K, Baumans V, Bernoth EM, Bromage N, Bunyan J, et al. Recommendation for euthanasia of experimental animals. Part 1. DGXT European Commission Lab Anim. 1996; 30(4): 293-316.
19. Yousef MH, Juboor AA, Albarrak AA, Ibdah JA, Tahan V. Fatty liver without a large “belly”: Magnified review of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in non-obese patients. World J Gastrointest Pathophysiol. 2017; 8: 100.
20. Hashem AN, Soliman MS, Hamed MA, Swilam NF, Lindequist U, Nawwar MA. Beta vulgaris subspecies cicla var. flavescens (Swiss chard): flavonoids, hepatoprotective and hypolipidemic activities. Pharmazie. 2016; 71(4): 227-232.
21. Wu Y, Zhou F, Jiang H, Wang Z, Hua C, Zhang Y. Chicory (Cichorium intybus L.) polysaccharides attenuate high-fat diet induced non-alcoholic fatty liver disease via AMPK activation. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018; 118(PtA): 886-895.
22. Kathirvel E, Morgan K, Nandgiri G, Sandoval BC, Caudill MA, Bottiglieri T, et al. Betaine improves nonalcoholic fatty liver and associated hepatic insulin resistance: a potential mechanism for hepatoprotection by betaine. Am J Physiol Liver Physiol. 2010; 299: G1068-G1077.
23. Matthews JO, Southern LL, Higbie AD, Persica MA, Bidner TD. Effects of betaine on growth, carcass characteristics, pork quality, and plasma metabolites of finishing pigs. J Anim Sci. 2001; 79: 722-728.
24. Papadopoulos V, Kamtchouing P, Drosdowsky MA, Carreau S. Effects of the transmethylation inhibitor S-adenosyl-homocysteine and of the methyl donor S-adenosyl-methionine on rat leydig cell function in vitro. J Steroid Biochem. 1987; 26(1): 93-98.
25. Wang X, Magkos F, Mittendorfer B. Sex differences in lipid and lipoprotein metabolism: it’s not just about sex hormones. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96(4): 885-893.
26. Denzer C, Thiere D, Muche R, Koenig W, Mayer H, Kratzer W, et al. Gender-specific prevalences of fatty liver in obese children and adolescents: roles of body fat distribution, sex steroids, and insulin resistance. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009; 94(10): 3872-3881.
27. Cholewa JM, Wyszczelska-Rokiel M, Glowacki R, Jakubowski H, Matthews T, Wood R, et al. Effects of betaine on body composition, performance, and homocysteine thiolactone. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2013; 10(1): 39.
28. Ganji SH, Kukes GD, Lambrecht N, Kashyap ML, Kamanna VS. Therapeutic role of niacin in the prevention and regression of hepatic steatosis in rat model of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Am J Physiol Liver Physiol. 2014; 306(4): G320-G327.
29. Clifford T, Howatson G, West DJ, Stevenson EJ. The potential benefits of red beetroot supplementation in health and disease. Nutrients. 2015; 7(4): 2801-2822.
30. Gliszczyńska-Świgło A, Szymusiak H, Malinowska P. Betanin, the main pigment of red beet: molecular origin of its exceptionally high free radical-scavenging activity. Food Addit Contam. 2006; 23(11): 1079-1087.
31. Georgiev VG, Weber J, Kneschke EM, Denev PN, Bley T, Pavlov AI. Antioxidant activity and phenolic content of betalain extracts from intact plants and hairy root cultures of the red beetroot Beta vulgaris cv. Detroit Dark Red. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2010; 65(2): 105-111.
32. Lee CH, Wettasinghe M, Bolling BW, Ji LL, Parkin KL. Betalains, phase II enzyme-inducing components from red beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.) extracts. Nutr Cancer. 2005; 53(1): 91-103.
33. Rahimi P, Abedimanesh S, Mesbah Namin SA, Ostadrahimi A. Betalains, the nature-inspired pigments, in health and diseases. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2018: 1-30: doi: 10.1080/10408398.2018.1479830
34. Wroblewska M, Juskiewicz J, Wiczkowski W. Physiological properties of beetroot crisps applied in standard and dyslipidaemic diets of rats. Lipids Health Dis. 2011; 10: 178.
35. Bashiardes S, Shapiro H, Rozin S, Shibole O, Elinav E. Non-alcoholic fatty liver and the gut microbiota. Mol Metab. 2016; 5(9): 782-794.
36. Manco M, Putignani L, Bottazzo GF. Gut microbiota, lipopolysaccharides, and innate immunity in the pathogenesis of obesity and cardiovascular risk. Endocr Rev. 2010; 31(6): 817-844.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.